Well, with two days (you read it–two whole days) off work, we’ve been hunkering down and trying to get stuff done. To be honest, we’ve spent a lot of time driving to Home Depot, then Lowe’s, then Southern States, then the Farmer’s Co-op, then Tractor Supply Company, then Wal-Mart…. Repeat. And don’t forget the trip to Giant Eagle to get gift cards to make it doubly worth it!
I think Mike likes what we’re doing not so much for the chickens or the plants that will hopefully one day go in the ground. No, I think he likes it for two reasons:
- He’s excited about bees (field day for the short course we took is tomorrow!).
- With as many projects as we have going on, he finally has an excuse to buy a lot of tools he never had.
So far between today and yesterday we’ve:
- Almost finished the chicken coop! There’s very little left–mount the door, mount some trim, vacuum/clean & caulk the inside……. And that’s IT! Until we get to the run.
- Put up a bird house (this is a big deal–we’ve been waiting to do this for weeks).
- Built and filled two raised beds for spinach and kale.
- Transplanted up 61 plants
With the bulk of our project done (chicken coop), here’s what’s on the menu for tomorrow and Monday:
- Create our strawberry holder
- Plant spinach and kale
- Till the lettuce bed and plant that
- Reorganize the firewood
- Create our newest compost area
- Create a roost for the chicks
- Start to build the chicken run
- Plant all of our blueberry and raspberry bushes
- Start to build the beehives
- Transplant up another 72 pepper starts
- Plant another 72 tomatoes/peppers–seed starts! Let the germination begin.
There’s plenty more we can and probably should do, but that’s the start of it. And boy, that’s a BIG start. The chicken coop’s half the battle, though I suppose before we start to put the run up, I need to find a place to hide the rabbit hutches–picked up for free on Craigslist the other day!
This was a dry post. I was going to talk about my inside garden tool (a fork), but I’ll save that riveting story for another day. Now–now it is time for bed.