You know those French Angora kits I posted about 30 minutes or so ago?
I just went out to check on them again, to find them all still and lifeless. One of two things happened:
- They overheated
- She accidentally stomped on them
I saw her going in and out of the nestbox before, so it’s possible. But with a high of 90, I think it’s more likely that they overheated.
One of the 8 kits is alive, and it’s currently rooming with the Americans.
No matter what did them in, I’ve learned an important lesson: Trust my gut. This could have been prevented had I brought the kits inside like I considered doing a few hours ago. Stomping or heat–that would have solved the problem.
Just an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. But there’s nothing I can do but learn.
Mike reminded me that had I gone to work this morning like I had originally intended, it would have been a problem either way.
So–learning is left.