As I tucked myself into bed tonight, I thought of all the things I should have done today:
- I should have put in another hour of work so I would have less work come morning
- I should have written out the wedding invitations instead of buying return labels
- I should have written a story
- I should have cracked open that last egg and written a post
- I should have closed up the chickens
Wait, what? What was that, Jessica, you said? You should have closed up your chickens?
Yes indeed. At 11pm I was trying to fall asleep with the dogs on either side of me (Mike still at his friend’s house, fixing the truck). I debated whether to leave the TV on or off, because I appreciate the sound. I wondered if the dogs would fight each other in the middle of the night. I thought, “If something gets at the chickens, the dogs will hear it, I’ll hear it, and then I’ll go outside.”
I know what you’re thinking. That’s not how it works. You don’t get to have a night off because you don’t want to go outside.
But here’s the thing–I was a bit scared.
Yup, me. Twenty-six years old and I’m still a little afraid of the dark. Continue reading